PCOS is a set of symptoms due to elevated androgens in women. It is due to combination of genetic and environmental factors. It is the most common endocrine disorder among women between the age of 18 yrs to 44 yrs. It affects2-20% of this age group. It is one of the leading causes of poor fertility.
Risk factors include: obesity, sedentary lifestyle, family history .
Symptoms and signs include:
- Irregular and scanty periods
- Excess body and facial hair
- Pelvic Pain
- Difficulty getting pregnant
- Patches of thick , darker, velvety skin
Long term complications:
- Diabetes , hypertension, endometrial cancer.
- PCOS has no cure. Treatment may involve lifestyle changes such as weight loss and exercise. Birth control pills, metformin and anti androgens may also help.
- Efforts to improve fertility include weight loss, clomiphene, metformin .
- Invitro fertilization is used by some in whom other measures are not effective.